We fell in love with Symphony Space when we saw Joanie Leeds perform there. Now, I want to be sure we all have the Just Kidding schedule on our radar. Look what I saw on their website:
Planning Saturdays with the kids is easy with Just Kidding! Featuring the very best in family-friendly music, theatre, dance and a whole lot more – all the cultural riches and inspiring experiences that affirm why you raise your kids in New York City. Find us on Facebook andTwitter, and browse our fun, new season brochure!
Today, they have a concert at 11:00 and since it’s raining, it’s the perfect place to go:
11:00 – The Boogers – The Ramones for kids!
Book your kid’s next birthday party with a Just Kidding Theatre Package.
You can click through their site but I’ll also include a quick overview of their upcoming performances. The 4-family special looks great!
In November, Symphony Space’s Just Kidding continues its weekly boredom-busting performances from the superheroes of all-ages entertainment. Leading off this cool month of shows is “The Crown Prince of Contemporary Kids’ Music” (People Magazine) Dan Zanes. He presents his über-interactive Song Gusto Hour concert for all ages on Saturday, November 1st.
The 2014-15 Just Kidding season is designed to guard NYC families against the diabolical quandary of “What To Do?”each Saturday (and some Sundays). A high-powered lineup bursts upon the Just Kidding stages, offering something for everyone: classic animation, interactive puppet theatre, hip hop, percussive dance, and sing-alongs with the most boredom-busting family musicians on the planet. Tickets to all Just Kidding performances (including a special family 4-pack deal) are available now at http://www.symphonyspace.org/justkidding.
Don’t Miss These November Just Kidding Performances:
Saturday, November 1, 11 am: Dan Zanes Song Gusto Hour
Peter Jay Sharp Theatre — Tickets: $14 to $26. Ages 3 and up.
Here’s a chance for families and people of all ages to gather and sing at the top of their lungs with GRAMMY Award-winning musician Dan Zanes and his band. The song gusto atmosphere is loose, communal, and festive, and the audience is invited to bring an instrument or simply their voices. This is a rare Symphony Space appearance from Dan, and he’ll be sing songs from his new greatest hits album, Get Loose and Get Together! Dan is like a 21st century ringmaster, introducing new songs and reconnecting people to songs that have always been there, and still are—it’s just that people forgot about them. For more information about Dan, visit www.danzanes.com Ages 3 and up.
A Special Halloween Seasonal Treat!
November 2, 4 pm: PhilharMONSTER!
Sharp Theatre, All Tickets are $15! Ages 5 and up.
Celebrate the spookiness of the season with the young goblins and ghouls of the InterSchool Orchestras of New York’s Carnegie Hill Orchestra (ages 8 to 12) and ISO Symphonic Band (ages 12 to 19). They perform their 3rd annual concert of spine-tingling orchestral classics for the whole family. A ghostly conductor will lead performances of classical music by composers such as Berlioz and Mozart plus music from films including Harry Potter, Star Wars and Pirates of the Caribbean.
A Mystery Theater Experience with Puppets and Song!
Saturday and Sunday, November 8 and 9, 11 am: Squirrel Stole My Underpants
Leonard Nimoy Thalia. Tickets: $12 to $21
In this poignantly silly puppet/human adventure tale for families, Sylvie is sent to the backyard to hang up the laundry. The moment her back is turned, a mischievous squirrel steals her favorite piece of clothing and runs off. When Sylvie gives chase, an entire world emerges from her laundry basket, and curious characters show her the way through mysterious lands. Will our lonely heroine rescue her underpants and discover the magic within herself? Join us on this adventure to find out.
Saturday, November 15, 11 am and 2 pm: Justin Roberts and the Not Ready for Naptime Players
Sharp Theatre, Tickets: $14 to $25. Ages 3 and up
Twice GRAMMY-nominated artist Justin Roberts dishes out intelligent and whimsically rocking music for kids and their parents. Bodies spring to their feet and rush the stage; jumping, dancing and bouncing off each other like bumper cars, all participating in the kiddie mosh pit found at nearly every Justin Roberts concert. With a style compared to Elvis Costello and Green Day, Justin and his band have become an audience favorite year after year. People magazine calls Justin Roberts’ music “laugh out loud funny,” and the Chicago Tribune says he is “in a league of his own.” Justin is also the author of a new picture book for children, based on one of his hit songs: Smallest Girl in the Smallest Grade (Putnam). Visit www.justinrobertsmusic.com to learn more.
Saturday, November 22, 11 am: Cathy Fink and Marcy Marxer
Thalia. Tickets: $12 to $21. Ages 3 and up.
These legendary, multi-GRAMMY winning artists have legions of fans for their reinventions of folk music. Playing dozens of instruments including banjo, mandolin, guitar, steel drum and ukulele, Cathy and Marcy are also trailblazers in children’s and family music. Their relationship with family audiences spans over 25 years of live performances and 20 award-winning recordings. The duo will invite singing and playing along, and they’ll debut songs from their next album, including “Dancin’ in the Kitchen.” . Visit www.cathyandmarcy.com to learn more.
The Just Kidding 2014-15 Season
- September 27: Spike and Mike’s Classic Festival of Animation (Peter Jay Sharp Theatre)
- October 4: Vanessa Trien and the Jumping Monkeys (Leonard Nimoy Thalia)
- October 11: The Boogers (Thalia)
- October 18: National Dance Institute: The Celebration Team (Sharp)
- October 25 and October 26: Alastair Moock (Thalia)
- November 1: Dan Zanes Song Gusto Hour (Sharp)
- November 2 : PhilharMONSTER! (Sharp)
- November 8 and November 9: Squirrel Stole My Underpants (puppet theatre event with live music) (Thalia)
- November 15: Justin Roberts and The Not Ready for Naptime Players (Sharp)
- November 22: Cathy Fink and Marcy Marxer (Thalia)
- December 13: Push Physical Theatre (Sharp)
- December 20: Father Goose (Thalia)
- December 27 – 28: Catskill Puppet Theater (Thalia)
- January 3: Elska (Thalia)
- January 10: Mermaid Theatre of Nova Scotia: Stella, Queen of the Snow (Sharp)
- January 11: Mike Super: Magic and Illusions (Thalia) – and Stam-Pede (Sharp)
- January 17 and January 18: Tim Kubart and the Space Cadets (Thalia)
- January 24: Moona Luna (Thalia)
- January 31: Ben Rudnick and Friends (Thalia)
- February 7 and February 8: The Pop-Ups (with their new show) (Thalia)
- February 14: The Gustafer Yellowgold Show (Sharp)
- February 21: The Okee Dokee Brothers (Sharp)
- February 28: Walter Martin (of the band The Walkmen) (Thalia)
- March 7 and March 8: Beats, Rhymes and Breaking (Thalia)
- March 14: Danny Weinkauf and band (Thalia)
- March 21: Elizabeth Mitchell and You Are My Flower (Sharp)
- March 28: Frances England (Thalia)